Sunday, May 19, 2013

How to Find Your Mystery Box

While finishing my degree at Northern Arizona University I was required to take a class in folk arts to receive my degree in the humanities.  One of the assignments of that class was to define each student's "family traditions" that had been either created in the family of origin or passed along through the  generations.  Since I come from a family of innovators and inventors I could  fall back on the fact that my mother's uncle was one of the first men to fly around the world or that my Opa (Grandpa in Swedish) helped invent the cash register while employed at NCR.  Needless to say I felt a bit inadequate starting that paper.

Thinking back I realized my immediate family had created a tradition of our own.   It took place every Sunday at five o'clock. Let me back up a minute.  We were a family that ate all other nights together at the dinner table except for that one special night.  It didn't matter if it was Christmas - the tradition was not broken.  We ate pizza and sat in the living room watching Star Trek on the television.

Today I went to the theater and sat down for a Sunday family tradition with J.J. Abrams.  In case you aren't [art of the Enterprise crew you can take a look at the trailer.  



You could say that my family has a strange tradition.  So what, you are missing the point.  The point is that this is not a review of a movie that was visually stunning with magical effects, lighting, and costumes.  The dialogue pays homage to the original television series pushing the envelope of  hokey ridiculousness to Trekkies the world over.   If you are not a nerd like me you probably don't get the references which is all good to the average movie goer.  If you don't know what I am talking about then you may not be one of those addicted to unreal, finding stability in the destabilization of true movie magic and indirectly our society and universe.  I do have a degree in BS.

Yeah,  J.J. Abrams did it again.  He made magic that we can all enjoy.  I recently saw an interview with the filmmaker.  Asked where his inspiration to do what he did came from he told a story of growing up in New York City.  His family history is one of curiosity, sharing the gift of family connections.  Making things.  Deconstructing things.  Why is the mystery of some magic more profound than others?  We are connected to what infinite possibilities that our family shares with each of us.  Out of our families there are small moments that connect us to where we are from.  



I agree with Mr. Abrams.  Embrace the technology that enfolds your art be that raising your children, writing, music, film, cooking, or some other form creativity.  Remember the mystery box of where your life is from.  Imagine the impossible.  Then the impossible becomes the possible.  Be the mystery box.  

Thank you Star Trek Into the Darkness for reminding me of my family tradition of watching Star Trek on the floor of the living room (that had creme colored carpet by the way imagine my mother's neurosis), and being a family, and tribbles.


No comments:

Post a Comment