Thursday, February 2, 2012

Does Time Heal?

One of my passions takes place around the awards season.  I always try to view all of the movies that have been nominated for the major awards either through the Golden Globes or the Academy of Motion Picture Sciences aka the Academy Awards.  One of the films in this prestigious category was one that I had really no interest in viewing - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which garnered veteran actor Max Von Sydow a nod.  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on IMDB gives background to a film which I hope is one of the last that tells a tale of September 11, 2001.

I was to be at a nephew's wedding in New York that day and because of illness was forced to cancel my flight.  Initially my husband was to take my young daughter and go without me, but after coming home from the hospital he realized I was unable to care for myself.  This is how we became one of the many who did not fly on that day having been booked on United 93.  I didn't realize the connection until I was watching the scramble to find missing planes, horrified as many were to see in real time the destruction of the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and the courageous flight of United 93.

After less than stellar  reviews I was not really interested in viewing the film.  Then the nominations were announced.  I still cannot look at the images of people leaping  to their death from the towers, but somehow watching a young boy and his mother walk through the vacuum left behind by tragedy as helped that little piece inside me heal a little bit more.  I lost no one, but in my life I know people who were in the towers and survived, died, and escaped fate because of circumstances guiding toward the light.  In many ways I feel unsure about recommending this film as I really want to move into life after the terrorist attacks, living without fear.  I do not think this is the best film of the year.  I do think this is a film that may be healing the scar a little bit more.






I  will never throw away the copy of Time Magazine that has images of faceless people flying to their death out of the burning buildings.  I will never get rid of my NYFD t-shirt that I bought in honor and support of the fallen heroes. Sometimes out of great tragedy comes incredible courage to heal, the faith to move forward out of incredible destruction of life, love, and family. 



I will never forget where I could have been.   I will never forget where I was. I will always remember to be grateful for where I am.  I will fly into New York City again someday. . . . and find that little piece of me that will  always live in that field in Pennsylvania as I am pretty sure that I would not have been someone who sat there and did nothing. 




My life is a gift. I hope you find the key that unlocks the joy of your life whether that key makes sense or not. I pray that I live by facing my fear.  I hope that you find a reason to do the same. . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment