Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Is Surrealism Street Art?



What makes one an artist?  Today culture is returning to a renaissance of creativity, a blast of ideas illuminating the chaos.  From moments on the never ending stream of too much information how do we as the human racing find an outlet that brings peace?  One of the most intriguing concepts in culture today is the idea that anything can bring form to feeling.  I am a writer.  This is the medium that I find most comfortable expressing myself.  I sculpt ideas with words, painting a vision of what lives in my soul.  

Art makes an impression and great art makes the audience think outside of the normative belief systems in society.  According to Antonin Artaud, "Surrealism is above all a state of mind, it does not advocate formulas. The most important point is to put oneself in the right frame of mind. No Surrealist is in the world, or thinks of himself in the present, or believes in the effectiveness of the mind as spur, the mind as guillotine, the mind as judge, the mind as doctor, and he resolutely hopes to be apart from the mind. The Surrealist has judged the mind. He has no feelings which are a part of himself, he does not recognize any thought as his own. His thought does not fashion for him a world to which he reasonably assents. He despairs of attaining his own mind."   Martin Esslin states, “The hallmark of this attitude is its sense that the certitudes and unshakable basic assumptions of former ages have been swept away, that they have been tested and found wanting, that they have been discredited as cheap and somewhat childish illusions." (Theatre of the Absurd).



When  thinking of modern artists who capture the ideals of the surrealists I immediately go to the street artists such as Banksy. These painters were considered criminal painting in the cover of darkness evading authority. Going to any lengths to let loose the passions, one of the most beautiful pieces of graffiti I have seen was while walking the streets of Sydney, Australia a few years ago.  I was amazed to see the side of a building painted with an image of Martin Luther King, Jr.  Street art is the expression of defiance on a canvas for the world to see.  A surreal concept - taking a building and covering it with art.  Unexpected, transformed, and often surreal.  
Phoenix artist Joseph Sentrock Perez recently told me, "Art is a very spiritual experience for me, I often seek God to give me inspiration. Art in any sense is an act of being God like. Creating something out of the norm is more than just a physical act. I don’t understand the concept of not making art anymore. So much of my life is sacrificed to creating art, and expressing through art." I had first seen his artwork in person at a CD release show for Dearspeak which featured musicians telling the story of their art.  Also there was Joseph, and I was fascinated by the images that I saw, brought to tears by an image with no idea of the painting's name or the artist's meaning.  I simply found my own connection.

Joseph's affinity for large canvas size began with a mural project in third grade, sparking the desire to create, turning on the light in a young artist  who says, "Since then I always sought ways to express myself and my art."  A true artist finds the drive to create much like someone who is possessed to let loose the beings living inside.  Pursuing art school now, the foundation of Joseph's creative vision has been formed while working with and learning from his fellow artists in the occasional workshop setting,  When asked what place street art has in our culture today Joseph states, "Street art is very interesting and refreshing to me. Its such a love/hate relationship with society. Art done in the streets is so organic. It pushes our idea of what art is and how society should be. One hand is vandalism on the other its expression, to me when i see street art it reminds me that, the city is alive and wanting to be noticed."

Has the Surrealist ideal found new mentors to keep the passions alive without Rene Magritte of Frieda Kahlo?  My perception sees the man with a can of spray paint on large canvas that may or may not include the sides of dilapidated buildings.  Adding texture and color to a decaying culture, refusing to break the rules of artistic convention. Artistic expression is the blood of human culture.  Freedom to express is the driving force for change. Why wait until history decides ithe importance of art?  I hope you decide for yourself.

  You can read more about Joseph Sentrock Perez by checking out this piece in the  Phoenix New Times or look him up on Facebook to purchase his paintings.





No comments:

Post a Comment